Bottle gourd is not liked by many. Some people think it is really boring in flavour. This is one of those vegetables from which children run off. We too never liked it when we were kids. But we can make this vegetable tasty with some good dishes. One of my favourite lauki dishes is lauki kheer.😋
Not many know about it’s health benefits. Some of them are, bottle gourd is low in calorie high in fiber, reduces high blood pressure as well as cholesterol levels, helps in curing constipation. The bottle gourd juice, helps treat burning sensation in the urinary passage if consumed with lime juice.
Bottle gourd is known with many names lauki, kaddu, doodhi, sorakaya..etc 😀
Lauki Moong Dal Curry (Bottle Gourd Curry)
1 medium sized lauki/ kaddu/ sorakaya
1/4 cup moong dal (soaked for 1 hour)
1 medium onion
2 green chillies
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1 1/2 tbsp oil
Salt to taste
1. Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add onions, green chillies. Fry till the onions turn light brown.
2. Drain water from the moong dal and add moong dal to the onions. Fry for 1 minute.
3. Now add lauki, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, salt, coriander powder, coriander leaves and fry for 2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water and check the seasoning.
4. Pressure cook it for 1 whistle.
5. Serve hot with chapathi or rice.