The chicken is coated with cornflakes powder and shallow fried. Yes you heard it right!, it is shallow fried and not deep fried. The chicken is juicy from inside and crispy on the outside.
Here the chicken is cooked first in it’s own water which it releases while cooking. If required add little water. I have learnt this method from my mom, who cooks delicious chicken dry curries.
Whenever we go to a fast food center and have chicken there, after eating, I always get the guilty feeling since it is deep fried and makes me feel fat 😱. That’s when I thought of doing a shallow fry version. It is tasty, healthy and guilt free 😆
Cornflake Crusted Chicken
1/2 kg chicken with bones
3 cups cornflakes coarsely powdered
1 cup maida (plain flour)
1/2 tsp pepper powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp chilli powder
2-3 tbsps oil for frying
1 tsp chilli powder
2 tsps ginger-garlic paste
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp salt
To add in cornflake powder:
1 tsp pepper powder
1/2 tsp salt
1. Wash the chicken well and marinate with the marination ingredients listed above for 1 hour.
2. In a thick vessel, add the marinated chicken, cover it with a lid and cook for 12 minutes. The chicken releases water and cooks in it’s own water. If required add little water.
3. Remove the chicken and place in a bowl, add garam masala, coriander powder, pepper powder, chilli powder, salt and mix well.
4. Coarsely powder the cornflakes, you can crush them with hand as well. Add 1 tsp pepper powder, 1/2 tsp salt and mix well.
5. Beat the eggs in a bowl, Spread the flour in a plate and keep aside.
6. Heat a non stick pan and add 2 tbsps oil. Now take a chicken piece, coat it with flour, dip into egg, coat with cornflakes mixture and place chicken in pan. Repeat with the rest of the chicken.
7. Fry on high till the bottom becomes golden brown turn and fry for 2 minutes then reduce flame to medium low and cook for 10 minutes covered. Open the lid increase the flame to medium high, fry for 2 minutes on each side until crispy.
8. The chicken pieces should be fried in batches by adding some oil. Do not over crowd the pan.
9. Serve the chicken hot!